Monday, January 29, 2024

Irrelevancy on a resume

Am I the only one who thinks putting a volunteer stint you did over 14 years ago on your resume is irrelevant? All that does it point out that you haven't volunteered for years and anything you did that many years ago may not even be the same, if you even remember how to do it. Plus it's especially egregious when it has absolutely nothing to do with the job you're applying for. It's like telling me how you volunteered at a soup kitchen 16 years ago but you're now applying for a job as a truck driver. You can jump through as many hoops as you want to tell me how those two are related, but if I'm hiring someone, I only care if your volunteer experience was more recent. Maybe since then you've become an asshole toward the homeless and want to run them over as part of your new truck driving duties?

TL;DR: don't include volunteering that isn't recent on your resume.

No comments: