Saturday, August 19, 2006

Younger brother in hospital

My younger brother was admitted last night to the hospital, in the coronary care unit. He has pericarditis, brought on from his bout with pneumonia that he couldn't seem to shake. It is serious but hopefully treatable with medication. We'll know more in a couple of days whether or not the drugs are working. If they show progress, great. If not, he'll have to have an aspiration (i.e., stick a needle in his chest and remove the fluid.)

I'm going to cancel the work trip I had planned to NS this week so I can be close to home. My mom has been up taking care of him. There's not a lot I can do per se, but I just want to be around in case I'm needed.

My grandfather had a rough week last week, culminating in his loss of eyesight for a brief period. After a blood transfusion it returned, but this is not a good sign. They are trying to get his platelets up so he can get a pacemaker, but they are just not getting up high enough. My aunt is up staying with him because he's a little dizzy and disoriented at times and can't really stay alone right now.

Please keep them both in your thoughts/prayers.

6 comments:

Cyn said...

Prayers for your whole family right now - particularly little brother. Thinking of all of you.

Anonymous said...

I Hope everything works out for the best with you. I know what it is like having loved ones in the hospital, and not doing well.

Brian

Dre said...

Wow - sorry to hear. My thoughts are with you and your family.

mare said...

you're all in my thoughts. give me a call if you want to talk.

Lisa said...

*hugs*

If there is anything I can do...

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and your family, Liz!!