Monday, February 05, 2018

Thanks, Emma

At risk of turning this blog into all about mourning Romy, I make another post about him.

Christmas was hard. There were a lot of Romy associations that went with xmas: how much he loved sleeping under the tree. How much he loved to drink out of the watering can. After xmas, it seemed to be a bit better. Then, last night, it hit me again.

Not sure if it was a recent discussion about cancer, but I couldn't fall asleep last night without thinking of him. I was listening to some background noise of crackling fire, which reminded me of how he liked to lay in front of the wood stove, pointing his white belly at the heat source.

Usually I focus on fearing death, and trying to avoid thinking about it as much as possible. But the thought occurred to me last night that I will get to see Romy again in Heaven. Will he be waiting for me? Will it be like Narnia, where Aslan returns and everyone is so happy? Will we be able to communicate in the same language in Heaven? Maybe this Heaven thing is something to look forward to. An odd statement from someone who goes to church every week, but true.

From there, my thoughts devolved into remembering his last day/hours. Then I just got incredibly sad and tried to get my mind off of it.

Woke up this morning, and was still sad. Came out of the bathroom downstairs, and who do I see sitting on the lounger but Emma with her paws tucked under. She readily accepted my petting and purred loudly. Thanks, Emma, for helping lift my spirits by reminding me of some Romy-isms and also that I need to also put some love into you, too.

As I typed that, Emma showed up at my side and I gave her some head pets.

No comments: