Monday, March 04, 2013

Abandoned

About 14 years ago, when I decided I couldn’t go to my mother’s hairdresser anymore and needed my own, I wasn’t sure what to do.  My boyfriend at the time was going to a salon uptown and there was a stylist there who was known for being in-demand and did good work.  I called to make an appointment with her, but the woman who answered the phone was very forward and said she’d take me instead.  I’ve been going to her ever since.

I have always felt safe in her hands, and count on leaving the salon looking my best.  She trained with a well-known stylist from Halifax who did my aunt’s hair for years and is well-respected.  She has participated in regional hair shows and won awards.  She’s great with color, she works efficiently, and has my cut down to a science.  I have received many compliments on my haircut and have always been appreciative that I have someone skilled in my life to help me look my best. 

Taking that into consideration, I have given her a “pass” when things don’t quite go as planned.  Since I’ve been going to her, she’s changed salons approximately 8 times.  Some of those times she didn’t call to tell me she’d moved, or whoever she designated to call on her behalf didn’t call me.  There have been times where I showed up and the doors were locked, and had to track her down.  There was also a time where she rebooked me with one of her co-workers, but I didn’t find out until I arrived at the salon, the day of my brother’s wedding.  Like all humans, nobody is perfect, but the pros outweigh the cons so I forgive and move on.

Today on Facebook, I saw a post from her saying that she had left the city and thanked her clients for their “years of love” and she misses us already.  I was just at the salon two days ago, booked my next appointment, and there was no indication that she was leaving town.  I had the impression she’d been fed up with the city and its inhabitants for a while, so I’m not surprised at (nor do I begrudge) her decision to leave, especially since she’s not originally from here. However, she's just left dozens of clients hanging with no notice and no recommendations.  We can't all be taken in by the two other stylists at her last shop, since one of them has a full plate already, and the other has nowhere near the same level of skill.

I'm disappointed and angry at how she's handled this.  I'm trying to be reasonable in my own mind, maybe something very bad happened and she had to escape quickly?  It's just not very professional. I now have to start over from scratch and get used to another person's methods, hours of operation, and possibly more disappointment.  I've been wracking my brain, trying to come up with names of people she's worked with who have roughly the same skill level, and I did come up with one.  Facebook searches have given me a full name and current salon, so I will trek over there this week to see if a new stylist can take me on. The person I came up with likely already has a full slate, but if I book now (5 weeks ahead), hopefully I will have more chance of getting in.  I just hope that whoever I decide on will be good at what they do and reliable. I understand it's never the same when two people do the same cut, but we'll have to come to an agreement on the "new normal".

I know this is a "first world problem" and that not everyone can relate.  To some, hair is just hair.  To me, it has a lot to do with my self-image. I don't want crappy hair or someone who is crappy at doing hair.  This is something that is important to me, and I'm sad that I have to start over and find someone new.  I'm feeling abandoned.

1 comment:

Liza said...

Your hair style is unique and it has to be cut perfectly to look perfect. It will take a bit to find another person with the same skill set to cut your hair the way you want it, but give the new stylist at least 2 tries before finding another one. Their first time with your hair may not be their best time with your hair :-)