Monday, July 14, 2008

Busy busy

Life has been busy. John's arrival, unpacking, adjusting to all the change. I'm now a wife with a live-in husband who brought stuff with him and likes things in different places than I do. It's a big change for both of us, and since change makes me uneasy, I haven't been feeling all that stable lately. It manifests itself physically as I make more frequent trips to the bathroom. Time will make things more comfortable and we'll get things sorted out.

I've been enjoying having John home all day, looking after things. That can't last forever, as much as he'd enjoy being a kept man. The move has created a debt load that we expected, but I still don't like it. It will soon be time for him to go job hunting, but we have some projects that would be better served by him being off work for at least a little bit longer.

John brought quite a large DVD collection with him, and we haven't been able to find anything we like for storage. We decided to build our own shelf, which John has drawn out in a plan. He's quite excited about building it, and I am looking forward to maximizing our space and getting exactly what we want. That project will have to be put off for this week, though, as we have company coming to stay with us.

The other issue on our plates right now is wood for winter. Since John is still unpacking and I haven't had much time to provide input and opinions on where things should go, a lot of boxes are still in the way of where the wood needs to go. I need to find more time to help get that cleared away so the wood can go in.

In addition to all of the change at home, I am also dealing with change at work. I am managing 2 people this summer and I have been finding that very stressful. We are moving our offices around the end of August, so I've also been involved in that process. That is affecting my ability to take vacation time during the best weather of the year. I can't even have a couple of days off this week. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I am the only person in the office for 3/5 days. I won't get to show my visitors around the city unless it's after work or on my lunch hour.

Now that my nephew has arrived, I am trying to put a push on to finish the baby blanket I've been knitting. I am staying at work today for lunch and brought the blanket to work on. I hope they like it. I really wanted to make rather than buy something, even though my skills are basic. Looking at the pics, I really wish I could see him in person. With so much going on, I probably won't get to see him until the fall. I wish they lived closer. I like baby stage the best, as long as I can give them back to their parents. :)

This past weekend was spent on another project that we needed done to adjust to having two people and more devices needing the internet in our house. With two PCs and two TiVos now, we didn't have the home network needed to support it all. I'm not a huge fan of wireless on everything, so I requested some help from friends to install a series of network drops in the house. It was a one-day project that turned into 2 days, but is now complete. I also planned for a couple of circumstances, such as having an extra wired connection in the living room (better for data transfer than wireless) and an extra jack in the bedroom in case we decide to move the TiVo to that room. We're also working on setting up the basement as a secondary entertainment area. John brought his TV and electronics, and I put my TiVo down there. So far all we have for seating is the bean bag chair, but I'm not as concerned about that right now.

No comments: