Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Voicemail

Why do people listen to your whole voicemail message, then hear the beep, then hang up?

I can understand how some messages do not include the most important information at the beginning of the message, so by the time you have listened to the message, you are "surprised" by the beep and abruptly hang up. I, however, make a point of putting the important information (such as when I am out of the office and when I will be back) early in the message, ending my message with "or if you'd like to leave a message, I'll return your call at x time..." There is plenty of time for the person to discover that I am not here and when I will be back.

The person calling me should either want to leave a message so I will return their call, or hang up and try calling me again later. Why, then, do some people insist on listening to the whole message and hanging up after the beep, leaving me with a snippit of a conversation and a clang of the phone, which costs me 10¢ to check (at work) and delete? I've changed my voicemail message at work once in almost 7 years... I think by now they should know what the message is going to say.

It's annoying.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Does it really cost 10 cents to check? Crazy!

I get a ton of messages that are just people hanging up, or sometimes, my favorite, sighing and then hanging up. :P

liz said...

It costs 10¢ on corporate voicemail. At home or on your cell, there is no access charge.