Sunday, September 28, 2008

The only cool thing

about the new version of Knight Rider was something most of the people I know wouldn't have noticed. John and I were catching up on some TV last night and watched the season premiere of Knight Rider. KITT goes back to his hideout, and all of a sudden I see:

Melissa: "Was that...?"
John: "Yes"

They used the former blimp hangars in Tustin (next door to Irvine) as Knight Industries' HQ. Cool!! We used to drive right by these on our way to Sam's Club, the best place to go right after your wedding™. They recently built a brand new shopping area next to the hangars and I also shopped there on the last few visits.

The rest of the episode basically sucked, was cheesy, and the fact that KITT is now a Transformer is really silly. He turns into a truck? UGH.

Seeing the blimp hangar in the episode though was pretty cool. John often comments on how alien worlds, other planets, or Star Trek fight sequences seem to take place in or around 29 Palms. I finally got to participate in recognizing something familiar.

3 comments:

Liza said...

Many, many TV commercials are shot in the Joshua Tree National Park, as well as east of 29 Palms, where there are both dry lakes and barren mountain backdrops. Musical groups also favor shooting in the JT area, such as Red Hot Chili Peppers (which I think is a hot band).

Anonymous said...

Wow! I've never seen the Tustin blimp hangars used in a t.v. show before! I used to drive by them all the time too, and became fond of them. I like the way the green windows glowed at night. Thanks for sharing this and posting a picture of this landmark. - Daralee

Anonymous said...

I drive by this building (and its twin brother) everyday on my way to and from work. I had NO IDEA that Knight Industries was using it as their base of operations!! Wow!