Thursday, January 22, 2009

Islander Day

PEI is joining the ranks of other provinces that get a holiday in February. What I don't understand is why they chose the 2nd Monday of February, whereas the other provinces chose the 3rd Monday (which coincides with Presidents Day in the US). Can someone explain this one to me? Why not take advantage of the fact that most of the rest of the country is shut down? I can't find any reason for it to be the 2nd instead of the 3rd Monday.

Bad planning and no forethought, if you ask me. What if Family Day becomes a federal holiday at some point in the future? Does that mean PEI will be the odd one out?

1 comment:

mare said...

National Flag day is February 15 - that's the most logical day for a statutory holiday. I think, anyway... halfway through the evil month of doom...

Also, and as an aside, we get Remembrance Day whereas most provinces do not... there is a balance to the force, so to speak.