Monday, March 13, 2006

The turtle creeps along

I had a moderately busy weekend, more self-imposed than anything else.

Late Friday afternoon I took the Haunted Car in to get the clicking noise fixed. Decided to wait for it, it only took an hour. While I was there I chatted with my sales guy about my increasing mileage. Going to keep an eye on that and see what I can do about not going over and paying the penalty.

Friday night I spent at home, devouring a book and then chatting with John after he got home. Saturday I did more reading and went to church.

Saturday night was the Rob Thomas concert. Really good show, although the sound wasn't the best where we were seated. Free food and no wacky weed made up for that, though. Anna Nalick's opening set was good, she seems to be a decent live performer. Rob's set was really good. He played a lot of his new stuff, which I enjoyed hearing - I had bought his cd when it first came out. He rearranged a few Matchbox Twenty songs that turned out really well. I actually liked the new arrangement for If You're Gone better than the original. The highlight of the evening though was definitely the cover of Bowie's Let's Dance. I love that song anyway, and it was a total surprise when they started to play it. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the 5 minute bass solo... I don't mind songs being extended when they're live, but when the interlude is so long that I've forgotten what song they're playing, I think that's a little much. All in all a good show, I'm really glad I was able to procure the tickets. Next up for concerts is INXS, for which I have very high hopes.

Sunday I got up and cleaned. And cleaned. And cleaned. I stripped the bed, washed the sheets, and washed a new set of sheets I bought when I was away. I turned the mattress. I cleaned and dusted the dresser and nighttable. I vacuumed the whole main floor of the house. I cleaned the desk in my office. I dusted the living room. I cleaned the bathroom. I vacuumed baseboards. The only thing I didn't get done was mopping the floors, but dammit, after all that, I was ready to go to bed around 7pm. I took a break in the middle of the day to walk up to the drugstore. I haven't been walking much the past month, between the weather and being sick, so all of that walking around yesterday is taking its toll on me today.

I have to go to the Evil City for work. I thought it was going to be this week, but it looks like something got delayed, so that trip will get postponed until next week. Good parts: get to visit Cyn, get to go to Costco. Bad part: I have to go to the Evil City. Halifax and I don't get along.

After work today, since I was already on the East Side, I stopped at Wal-Mart to look for a couple of things. After today's visit, I've decided I'm not going back there unless there is something specific I need that I can't get anywhere else. I can't seem to set foot in that store anymore without being around a whole bunch of stupid people, in a crowded aisle... conditions always ripe for Wal-Mart Rage. Today's adventure was standing in line at the checkout. Stupid-ass lady just took her bags and left her cart right there in the middle of the aisle, right in my way. I smashed it out of the way. Not a mature response, I'll admit, but I was pissed. You have to walk right by the cart corral in order to leave the store. There's no excuse. She just left it in my way to have to deal with. So I smashed it down the aisle out of my way. After that, I decided it wasn't worth my frustration every time I go into that store. It's on the other side of town, out of the way for me. There are plenty of stores on my side of town that I can frequent, so that's what I'll do. If Wal-Mart builds a store on this side of town, fine; I'll consider shopping there. But I'm not going out of my way to the other side of town to be frustrated buying kleenex. Just not worth it.

I then headed over to Winners, where I spent what I think was 20 minutes looking for a picture frame and coming out of the store with nothing. There were plenty of frames, but apparently I am incapable of deciding on one and picking it out. Libras are notorious for not being able to make decisions, and I definitely live up to that part of my sign. I looked over the frames... ugly color. Too girly. Too plain. Too many scratches. Too dark. Too heavy. I'm pretty sure it was my indecision and not a lack of decent frames. I wanted to print and frame one of the pics of John & me from my last trip, but for some reason none of the frames looked right. So I still don't have a frame, nor do I have any idea what kind of frame I want. Maybe I should just tape it to the wall.

Last but not least today, I got someone to sign my passport application. Now I just need to get it up to Fredericton some day this week. Weather's not looking the greatest for tomorrow, so it will have to wait until later in the week. My passport pic looks bad, as is the requirement for passport pictures. It could look worse. Think positive.

C'mon turtle. 30 days to go.


Lisa said...

I found the sound when he was singing was fine, it was just when he chatted to audience between sets. I actually blanked out during that bass solo-was it really that long?!

And, for about the millionth time, thanks for sharing your tickets. I really enjoyed the show.

Cyn said...

Yay! A visit to me! Yippee!!! Mmmm Costco. Now that's someplace I would like to go. Laptop shopping so that could be fun. (:

scum said...

Liz, I live less than 5 minutes from that Wal Mart, and -I- won't go there. Jody doesn't even go there much.

At least Wal Mart knows their audience. I just shudder to think that there's so many people in and around our city that meet that low standard.