Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Rio remakes

"Rio" by Duran Duran seems to be getting attention these days -- not good attention, in my opinion.

1) Video spoof

Hedley has done a spoof of Rio in their video for "Never Too Late". I don't mind the spoof, it's kind of funny, but the band and the song suck, so overall I hate it.


2) Song remake

"Nicole Scherzinger of the Pussycat Dolls just dropped her new single, and it's a synth-ful cover of Duran Duran's "Rio" that will make you appreciate the vocal stylings of Simon Le Bon more than you ever thought possible." --E! Online

This remake makes me want to hurl. And then shampoo my hair. I hadn't even read past the part that said "remake" and I had already pegged it as an ad for a hair or body care product.


Step away from the Duran, people. Step away.

3 comments:

Karen said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Lisa said...

1: +1 - I've given Hedley a try, but I feel their songs are just juvenile faux-angst-ridden drivel. They shouldn't poke fun at anyone until they learn how to write a decent song in general. I guess they're great if you're a teenage girl. :P

2: I haven't heard this and I so hope I do not.

John said...

1. I thought the spoof video was interesting, but the song was nothing I would write home about or purchase for myself.

2. I sort of liked her version. She remained true to the original in many ways and just put a dance track and some electronica over it. Her voice is a bit soft and "polished" (i.e., enhanced electronically) for this style of song, but it wasn't that bad. Not saying I would rush out and buy her album, either, just saying it wasn't as horrible as some remakes I've heard in recent years.