Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The game of catch-up

Wow, crazy times here trying to get caught up on what I missed while I was gone. I do feel much better after having a vacation and no longer feel like I'm about to snap, which is good. I have a lot of work to get done, but at least I feel like I can handle it and make progress.

The remainder of my trip was great, up until the part where I had to leave, of course. Wednesday I had the whole day to myself, so I walked all around the neighborhood and shopped. Got lots of walking in that day, for sure. I bought a set of sheets at Linens N Things, as well as a couple of plate racks that I have yet to get set up the kitchen cupboard. I like my plates standing up in a rack as opposed to lying down - takes up less space if they're standing upright. I also bought a pair of pants at Old Navy, not that I can't get Old Navy at home, but I was on vacation and wanted to get something for myself.

Wednesday night I joined John at his bowling league night. I got to meet his team and cheer him on. Thankfully I wasn't a jinx and he had a good night.

Thursday morning I had to myself, and that was when I checked in with work and that pretty much wrecked my mood. I did manage to go down to Target for a walk and to pick up something John needed, and then hung around waiting for him to come home in the afternoon. Thursday afternoon we went to South Coast Plaza. Now that is a mall. I walked in and started seeing stores like ChloƩ, Tiffany, Guess, Gucci, Armani... a lot of those stores we just walked by, I can't afford things in there, didn't want any temptations :) In that mall was also a New Balance store, which was our mission for the day so I could get a new pair of sneakers that would actually fit me. With all of the walking I've been doing, it was time for a new pair.

The days are kind of blending together in my head now. I think it was Thursday night we grilled some steak. I have to compliment my bf on the terrific steak, which was even better than steak we had in a restaurant a couple of nights later. Excellent job. Looking forward to more grilling from you :) I also tried some balsamic vinaigrette dressing that I've discovered I liked, and bought some after I came home.

On Friday we went to see Good Night, and Good Luck. Good movie, but when you boiled it down, it could have been a really good 1h program on A&E. There just didn't seem to be enough there to make a 1.5h movie out of.

Saturday we went to a different church, this one with no guitars and choirs (thankfully) but I believe it is in a temporary building. It was basically a couple of portables with chairs set up. Just up the street from John's apartment there is a sign that says "future Catholic church site" so putting 1 and 1 together, I think that is what's going on. Nice people, and the priest gave an interesting homily and was funny to listen to. I'll be headed back there the next time I have to attend mass.

Saturday night we had dinner at Black Angus, good steak but not as good as the home grilling. Huge meal (I found a coupon!) and we ended up taking the giant chocolate cake home. We rented and watched Crash that night. Depressing movie, as there was only 1 character who you actually felt you liked. Good, but depressing, and I think I'd prefer Brokeback Mountain over Crash or Good Night for Best Picture. Still haven't seen Capote or Munich though. Munich is already gone, and Capote's last night in SJ is tomorrow. May go see it tonight if anyone is interested, let me know. I got a free movie pass for weeknights in the latest box of Cheerios (I love coupons!)

The rest of the trip was basically both of us being depressed that it was ending. Leaving this time was infinitely more difficult than last time, plus the fact that we didn't have concrete plans for the next visit. I don't like leaving at all, but it's worse when you don't immediately have something else to look forward too. We had the idea that I would come back to SoCal in April around Easter, but I needed confirmation from my boss that that plan was ok before I could book anything.

It gets harder every time to let go and accept that you won't see the person you love for a couple of months. It broke my heart to leave, but I had to come home. I think it was the loneliest feeling in the world to walk into my house Sunday night and hear the echo as I set my bag down. I immediately put on some XM radio to have some kind of distraction from how empty it seemed. Didn't get much sleep that night.

Monday was a tough day, getting back into the routine of work and the routine of boots, winter jacket, scarves, hats, and mitts. Ugh.

Yesterday I started to get back on track. Being the Hallmark-iest of holidays, Valentine's Day usually brings me depression, but this year it brought me a dozen roses, so who am I to complain? I also got 2 boxes of chocolates as an early present last week. V-day also brought me a sore throat, which got progressively worse as the day wore on. I came home last night and watched a bit of TV I had taped, then took a nap before John got home to chat. I think that did me some good, as I am feeling better today. Still not great, but the sore throat is not as bad as it was last night.

Yesterday I also spoke to my boss to see if I could get the time off around Easter to head back to SoCal. I got the go-ahead, so last night I booked my flight to head back to sunshine. I am going from April 12-19, Wednesday-Wednesday since I need to be there on Saturday to attend his best friend Chris' wedding. John's sister is also in town the week before Easter so I am hoping we can connect and I'll get to meet her. Most of all I need to get back to see John. It's really tough being apart but having this plan in place really takes a load off my mind, and I have something I can look forward to.

So I have a lot to do outside of work. My passport expires next month, so I have to get that renewed. I have to find an appropriate outfit for the wedding, which will also likely involve shoes. An excuse for shopping, excellent! Now I just need to win the lotto tonight and maybe I can pay for all of this :)

In other news, I got word that I was able to get an advance ticket for INXS in Moncton. I am totally floored and I can't wait!!! I have always wanted to see them live, and now I get to. Hope JD is all that and a bag of chips, he has a lot to live up to. I'm also headed to see Collective Soul in Fredericton in March. Hope that will be a good show as well. Still interested in seeing Rob Thomas, Lisa, if you've found any money this week :)


canadianicewolf said...

Every 6 weeks is a decent pace for bi-coastal living and a bank account/Visa!! Glad you're going to enjoy Easter in So Cal and John gets his date of choice for the wedding!! Enjoy!!!

Lisa said...

I would love to see Rob Thomas as well, but I can only afford one concert ticket at a time, and INXS is the winner. Gotta see them! :)

I woke up with a sore throat yesterday. There must be a bug going around.