Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Let the campaign begin!

Well, today I finally had it. Some of you are aware of my simple (yet somehow impossible) request that I have the weekly flyers delivered to my house. Just before xmas, they stopped being delivered. Since then, every weekend, I drive home, look to my neighbors on either side of me, and they both have their little blue bags with flyers in them. For some reason I am being snubbed.

I already have a hate-on for the Telegraph Journal because when I lived uptown, the carriers would never put the paper through the slot in my front door. They were too dumb to figure out that if you separate the paper into two halves, it would fit through the slot. Those of you who live uptown know that anything left outside is basically free for the stealing, so I would never get my paper. One day after I had had enough, I left a note on the door for my carrier, telling him that if he didn't start putting the paper through the slot, I was going to cancel my subscription. He wrote me back a note telling me to fuck off and that the paper wouldn't fit through the slot. Well let's just say I was pretty pissed. I cancelled my subscrition pronto, telling everyone that would listen what had happened. I ended up with I think only a week or 2 of free papers, despite the many I hadn't bothered to report missing because it happened every friggin day. Then they eventually sent me a bill for $16. Never paid it, screw that. Worst service ever. Not to mention the incessant phone calls from them, offering the paper at such-and-such a price. I have told them at least 4 times to put me on their do-not-call list, which really means "try her again in 4 months, she didn't really mean she never wanted to be called again."

So I already hate them. Don't enjoy having to call them up for anything. But I want my friggin flyers. I was getting them for 3 months and then they just stopped. I have called. I have emailed. I am constantly ignored by the Telegraph Journal. No one will respond to me, despite the voicemails and emails. Aren't you sick of hearing from me? If I'm not talking to the right person, at least have the fucking decency to return my call and tell me who I should be talking to. I have always been polite in all of my phone calls and emails. Yet I still am ignored.

My mother, who the older she gets the more & more she acts like a senior citizen, which is quite scary, decided to take it upon herself to write to the TJ yesterday and also complain on my behalf and threatened to cancel her subscription. So now it also looks like I need my mommy's help. Trying to forget about that one. She requested they call her. If they had called her today, she would have excitedly called me and told me all about it. I didn't hear from her, which means she didn't hear from them, oh big surprise.

So today after work I just decided it had been enough. I took the advice of a friend and emailed 8 companies whose flyers I should be getting. I didn't bother copying the guy from the TJ as he doesn't seem to give a shit. We'll see how it goes, I am hoping at least one of the 8 companies will be annoyed enough to hear that their marketing efforts are not reaching me that they'll do something on my behalf.

The worst part is, probably half the city throws these things out every week. I really like getting them and I can't seem to do anything to make that happen. The only thing I haven't tried is putting a sign on my lawn that says "Please deliver flyers here". My dad owns a sign company, I have resources.

This may seem like a silly campaign, but it all comes down to 1) I hate the TJ and want to do anything to annoy the crap out of them for a change; and 2) I especially hate being ignored. I cannot count the number of times I will be standing in line for something and the person behind the counter will look right through me and serve the next person. Seriously, this happens to me all the time. I may be skinny but last time I checked I wasn't invisible.


This just in: I just got my first response. Sears was of no help. They suggested I contact them again!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Here's what I wrote them back:


Well I would think that contacting them at least 6 times, through phone and email, should do the trick. They do not return my calls or emails. This is why I am contacting various companies to let them know that the marketing information they are trying to convey to their customers is not reaching its intended destination. I would think Sears Canada Inc. would be a little annoyed that they are paying to produce these flyers, I am a customer who wants to receive them, and the entity you've given responsibility to for distribution on your behalf if is not doing their job. What is the point of producing flyers if they are not getting to the end consumer?

Basically you're telling me if I can't find a solution on my own, you're not going to do anything extra to help. That's fine. I'll remember that. Maybe one of the other companies I've contacted *can* be bothered to lend a hand to a customer.




I almost added a bit about "well I guess as long as the flyers are getting to people in Toronto, that's all that matters" but that was sounding a little too ranty. Stick to money issues and you have more of a chance. This won't get me anywhere but I had to write back after such a stupid response. Here, I'll tell you what I've done at least 6 times. Now you're telling me to try it for a 7th???!!!??? Gee, if beat my head against the wall 100 times today and 200 times tomorrow, I'll get smarter!!!! Yee-haw!

One down, 7 to go. I am hoping that Sobeys or Superstore, slightly more local than Sears, will care a little more. I'll keep you posted.

8 comments:

Cyn said...

Nice reply to Sears, btw. Hmmm their lack of concern makes me reconsider shopping there. I received a similarly callous email from them recently when I wrote to complain about their lack of pillow options for firm pillows - ie they stopped carrying the one I like. Hmmmm This is definitely strike 2.
I'm also a fan of the flyers. LOVE getting them! It's great! It's hard to get them in this building though because they're left at the main entrance as a free for all. Grrrrrr... sigh
Not to dash your hopes... but Superstore is actually owned by a national company out of some bedroom town outside Toronto (Richmond Hill I believe). Sobeys... well at least it's Halifax so ya might have a shot there.

Don't ya love parents who decide they need to "help"? sigh. Generally has the opposite effect along with a nice dose of embarassment. Ulp.

Lisa said...

I have never received flyers the entire time I've lived uptown. I find it really discouraging because I too enjoy getting the flyers. I would think that the urban apartment dwellers would be a prime sales flyers target, but what do I know.

I'm also not a fan of the Telegraph. The other thing that gets me is their Canada East site. They are one of the only papers that makes online readers buy a subscription. I've also demanded I be removed from their harassment list, to no avail. I still get a call every few months.

Good luck with your campaign Liz. I'm rooting for you!

Surly Canuck said...

I used to have the same issue with the TJ and the Gleaner in Freddy Beach. Here's how I solved the do not call issue...

As soon as they call, thank them and ask to speak to a supervisor. Once the supe is on the phone, advise that you are recording the call, and tell them that you are requesting to be placed on their do not call list, and that once your conversation is completed the recording will be submitted to your attourney.

Advise them that you will consider all future calls harassment, and will pursue all options to the fullest extent of the law.

Dunno if any of it is legal or not, but I never got any calls from them again. =)

Anonymous said...

silly flyer people. that's why i got the globe. also the pretentious book section. hey, i do have degrees in english.

liz said...

Cyn: yeah, I know they're owned by Loblaws, but I am hoping it went to a regional contact instead of a national one, probably not, but we'll see.

Lisa: I think it has to do with uptown landlords and sometimes they put up signs that say no flyers. That and the stealing.

VS: that's why we have you around. Only you can think up such plans :)

Mare: I read the globe too... as it burns up in my stove. They have larger pages so more to burn, mwwwwhhhhaaaaaa

dan said...

If you live near a big apartment building with a lobby like the one I live in over east--There are usually tons of flyers piled in the entry way. No one would mind if you just walked into the entry way and took a bunch. In fact, the grumpy guy who has to clean them all up would probably appreciate it.

Also, sears catalogs--they seriously drop off bales of the things in the lobby and just anyone can take one.

Scum said...

I did much the same as VS when it came to the TJ. I asked to speak with the girl's supervisor as soon as she told me who she was calling on behalf of...

The supervisor then told me that they are a telemarketing company hired by the TJ, and that the probable reason I had received 5 calls that week was that they switched companies and both companies had my name. Had I told the TJ not to give out my name and number anymore?

She then gave me the number to call the TJ, and I told THEM to stop releaseing my name to have me called. The calls stopped.

It was a good thing, because I asked for the supervisor when the second call came in on a Saturday. That was the fifth call in less than a week.

Insight Signs and Graphics said...

Hello, Thanks for sharing nice blog with us. this is really very nice blog again to all thanks i am regular reader your website Richmond Hill Sign Company