Sunday, February 20, 2005

Waiting, Watching, Wishing

Sunday afternoon. Still no flyers. They used to come Friday nights. The only good thing about it is I don't see any on my street, or the connecting street, so I am not the only one. But come on already.

A laptop tried to kill me on Friday. It literally sucked the life out of me. We're talking a Win98, 266MHz processor, you get the picture. I was trying to transfer files to this person's new laptop. Well, of course it's too old to have a burner. I sent my external burner to Moncton for someone else to use. Ok, let's transfer over the network. 2 hours later no real progress. I hooked up a crossover cable and let it process for another couple of hours while I did the rest of my work. Still not acting very nice. Finally I used the flash drive and managed to get everything except the email file off the computer. Holy crap, 700MB worth of email? Not totally surprising for this person given their position, but how in hell and I going to get this file transferred? My flash drive is only 512. Ok, maybe if I zip it I can get the size down enough that it will fit on the flash drive. After about 20 minutes of letting it compress the file I got up to go to the bathroom. Came back in and this person is sitting there checking their email. Since I hadn't unplugged the network connection, it was of course updating the email file. Well, there's a good 1/2 hour wasted. Set it to compress again. Finally it was done, I transferred it over. Wouldn't work. ARGH! I hate you Win98! Not much I can do other than to split the email file in half and copy it that way. That's when the real fun started. Took FOREVER just to move folders to another file. Then I had to compact the existing file below 512MB. zzzzzzzzz. Took hours... maybe days, I'm not really sure. In the end I was there until 6pm Friday night getting this friggin thing done. But it *is* done.

After that I headed home, got in my yoga before heading over to a friend's house. Watched some Simpsons and answered some Scene It questions. Yesterday I caught up on some TV then headed to church. I had said to myself the night before, I'll have to remember to go get gas before I go to church tomorrow. Did I remember? Noooooo. On my way to church I get the low fuel light, but I knew I had enough to get there and then get gas after mass. Got out of church and started hurrying, as I had a limited amount of time. The plan was to go to the early show and see Million Dollar Baby, so I had to stop for gas, go home and shower and change, and get out to the East side. Just got out of the shower when the phone rang and plans were changed. Ok, no need to hurry anymore. Spent the next 45 minutes deciding what to wear. This shouldn't have taken that long, I'm not sure why it did, especially since I ended up in just a sweater and jeans. I must have been in a subconscious trying on clothes mood. So despite the simplicity of my outfit, I only arrived at it after about a half-dozen combinations of various pants and shirts.

We watched Ray last night, I had seen it in the theatre but the rest hadn't. It was again very good. Then we headed out to the Somerset Pub for some karaoke. After my disastrous audition for Evita it's going to take a lot for someone to convince me to get up & sing, so I sat and people-watched instead. I commented before heading out to the bar that I was glad for the non-smokiness... and yet when I got up this morning and smelled my clothes, they were smoky. I was outside for a minute but not long enough to pick up that much smell. Boo! I did see someone sneaking a smoke inside the room, must have been from them. People watching was mildly entertaining last night but not a whole lot going on. A bar through the eyes of a sober person usually is kind of lonely, you always feel like you're missing out on the party.

I did find myself making progress though. Watching the couples there last night I was not bitter or jealous, I was content. I may not have been there with anyone but I was ok with that. Didn't have to worry about driving a drunk boyfriend home, hearing the wretched puking in the sink, and then being kept up all night by snoring that sounds like a freight train, no matter how many times you kick him to stop. So it's not all bad. In fact, after those select memories, it was kind of good. I'm getting to like things the way they are without someone else around to comment or mess it up. I like having this house as warm as I can get the stove to go because I am always cold. I like the fact that when I come home, everything is exactly where I left it. This may not happen every day, but right now I am good with the way things are.

What I am really looking forward to this year is actually enjoying a very drama-free summer. I always look forward to summer, mainly because it's warmer, things are green, everything seems happier. But with all of the stuff happening at the end of May last year and then spending the rest of the summer in devastation mode, summer just went by and I barely noticed. I remember sitting in my office on the warmest day of the year, didn't leave until about 9pm and then headed to the beach after the sun had gone down but there was still light. I remember thinking how nice it was to be at the water and have it still be this warm, and that it was likely to be the only night this would happen all year, and yet I spent most of my evening in my office just not knowing what to do with myself. So I am looking forward to relaxing and enjoying the summer, if we can just get some good weather. Enjoy my deck and front porch, and maybe get some landscaping done this year so it doesn't look like a big pile of mud.

Tonight I am headed over to my mom's for supper. I am hoping this is just supper and not any kind of "conversation". It's happened so many times now that I've become automatically suspicious when I get an invitation for supper. Sad but true.

One last check.. still no flyers.

1 comment:

Cyn said...

Hey Liz,
Just a thought for ya on the be-atch... When ya see her just think to yourself... poor her... she now has to deal with him. She's got all that crap that you no longer have and there you are free to do as you please and have your home the way you like it when you come home. What does she have? Um... lol
That thought definitely helps me. hehe
Cyn