Saturday, February 12, 2005

Various weekend musings

Well, the basement was dry by lunchtime yesterday, so that was good. No more has come in since. Still think I see mice out of the corner of my eye.

For those who watched Alias this week (or will be watching tomorrow at 4), I have one thing to say: PIN-EA-LLLLLLL!

I started doing yoga on my own at home around the same time I started belly dancing. It's nice to be able to touch my toes again. I am now on par with my 4 1/2 year old nephew, only he's still way more flexible than I am.

Speaking of my nephew, his dad, my older brother, is going diamond ring shopping this weekend. This is also his weekend to spend with my nephew, I wonder if my nephew has some kind of deep knowledge of rings or something. Anyway, my brother is close to getting engaged, which I find cool, but I have yet to meet his soon-to-be intended. I will meet her in April when I head to Montreal, spending an evening at the Bell Centre with Simon LeBon et al. I am such a Durannie.

Sitting watching TV this afternoon, I just couldn't take it anymore. There are just some commercials that make me want to pull my hair out, run from the room screaming, or if I had a really crappy old TV, I would throw things at it. Here, not necessarily in the order they annoy me, are the current culprits:

  • The Always girl. Now, I like cotton too. I am wearing cotton right now. I do not, however, get excited and dance around the room with my blankie at the fact that my maxi pad now has even more cotton in it. And have you looked at this chick? Her makeup job looks like it was from 15 years ago. You keep dancing away while you're on the rag, lady. I'm taking your hot boyfriend out for a good time.
  • The Tim Hortons "Proper Lunch" Lady. If this old bag came up to me while I was deciding where to eat, *I* would hit *her* with my purse. Shut up! You sound really creepy! I personally don't care what you think other people should eat for lunch, mind your own damn business!!!
  • The Burger King drummer. I just shake my head. Not only is this moron stupid enough to put his tongue between 2 cymbals and smash them together, what in hell does that have to do with a burger? A new taste sensation? Go eat middle eastern food if you want a new sensation. This guy is such an idiot, all I end up thinking by the end of the commercial is that Burger King attracts morons to eat their burgers... my ex's favorite burger joint was Burger King... bada-bing!
  • The Aero with Caramel bimbos. Stop talking with your mouth full. Obviously you were raised by a pack of wolves who howled with their mouths open. Just totally stupid.
  • The Bailey's whore. Get a room, lady. Someone pay her the $200 she's looking for and take her upstairs. Then only make her drink one drop at a time, that seems to be what gets her off.
  • The Alexander Keith's scottish guy. If I can't mute the TV when this guy comes on, I really do run out of the room screaming. He's an idiot in a kilt. He just stands there and yells at people in a bar. Normally that would get you beat up.
  • The Palmolive talking hands. Whoever thought this would be a brilliant marketing campaign needs to be *fired*. These "things" are repulsive. It makes me want to purposefully *not* buy Palmolive. They offend me on a very low level, I just can't stand them.
  • The Dentyne frozen head guy. This is an obvious attempt to make a "cool" commercial for the high school scene. Yeah, because I want a product that is so cold my head will freeze and fall off? I realize this is fictional and intended to be funny, but I just find it stupid. Throw his head out the window and get on with the date. Maybe you'll end up with an intelligent conversation.
  • Sensodyne bitch who frigs up her guy's shower. Now listen, this is just mean. And you are obviously dubbed, which just makes the audio and video seem wrong together. I want to see the sequel commercial where he gets her back for the little water adjustment. Kick her to the curb, she deserves it for substituting her own voice!!!

4 comments:

Cyn said...

How about we add to this list every single Tylenol commercial running right now. EZ tabs, cool burst. Whatever. Their idiot in charge of coming up with this garbage needs to be tarred & feathered. At this point that's about all that would make tylenol seem attractive to me after these fiascos! At least then they'd show some sort of intelligence.

Anonymous said...

Now, I love commercials. There are commercials I enjoy more than TV shows. But I have to agree with your assessment of Always girl. Freakish. Oh, and re: Sensodyne, I add for your consideration the bad dubbing over Head and Shoulders commercials. But you know what one drives me batty is the Ashanti (the poor man's Beyonce, who is in turn the poor man's Tina Turner) commercial for Herbal essences. Get a life! Or a director! Or for the love of crap, something!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...



PIN-E-ALLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa said...

Now, I don't normally watch tv, but I do on occassion, and I *love* the Eggo French Toast commercial! It's silly but when that Eggo says "EEK!" and runs off with his muppet run, I laugh like a little girl!