Friday, February 11, 2005

The new houseguest

Got up this morning, follow the usual routine... oh good, I am a few minutes early, maybe I can dig out the compost bin and bring it to the curb. Where's my jacket? Oh yeah, left it downstairs to dry. Go downstairs.

Hello. You must be new here. My name's Liz. And yours is? Well, nice to meet you, flooded basement. Sorry to disturb your wrecking of my stuff, but I just came down here to get my jacket and go to work. What's that you say? You want to go and creep into the storage room and the bedroom to see what I have in there? Sorry, I think you'll have to leave now. Let's just brush you out... ah, I see you're a little obstinate this morning. Ok, well, since I don't really have a water-soaking-upping mop, I guess you can stay until I get back. Or my Dad shows up with a shop vac. Why don't you just make it easy for both of us and evaporate?

It's not that much, thankfully, and it came through the back door (makes it sound like I left the back door open last night - "come on in!"), so it's not from any cracks in the foundation or bad stuff like that. However, I can't tell if it's from the ditch the City dug in my backyard, or the gutter that is emptying out close to the door (who thought up that one?). The gutter is easily addressed. The ditch issue is not.

I did say to myself that I wanted to mop up the basement in order to get rid of the crack fill dust, but not quite like this. It came in the back door and mostly contained itself to that side of the house, it went down the hall but hadn't really gotten into the storage room or bedroom, which is where most of my stuff is. Any water in the basement, though, is not a happy sight. At least it didn't bring mice with it. I can deal with water. Not a good way to start my day though.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Man that sucks. At least it wasn't knee deep or something like that. Has it happened before? A lot of people were complaining about flooding this morning because of the lovely snow/rain combo of last night. Let's hope its a one time visit.

liz said...

Well, I haven't been there a year yet, so it's the first time it's happened to me. My neighbors on the next street get flooded, which is why they put the ditch in. I am worried that it may have made things worse for me. I'll see what Dad says, he was going over to take a look at it this morning. He didn't sound too worried though, since it's coming from the door we'll be able to do something to fix it, as opposed to a much worse situation of having a crack in the foundation. Makes me glad I don't have a lawn yet though, I can rip up whatever I need to :)

Rosyphant said...

Not fun at all. But I guess it could have been worse. We've been there, done that bought the shop vac and sump pump to avoid future flooding. Glad your stuff wasn't ruined. (Especially all the Halloween stuff :P)

Anonymous said...

Yes he is a most unwelcome house guest. It sounds like you just need a bit more of a slope around the back door. We were not even a year when ours was flooded too. You'll be a little paranoid about that for the rest of Spring. :)