Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Things that make me a freak

Not necessarily in a bad way either. Just strange things about me, good and bad.

  1. I go to church. Every weekend. Even when on vacation. I am the only person my age I know of who goes this often, if at all.
  2. I can't swim. Fell into a pool when I was around 4. One minute I remember myself above water, the next I am under water, and then everything went black and next thing I know, I was upstairs in the hotel room, sitting up and choking, my parents giving me orange pop to drink. Don't like pools. It is only recently that I can sit or walk around them.
  3. I can't ride a bike. I had a bike, with training wheels. Couldn't keep my balance without them. Dad tried to teach me, but after some impatience and scraped limbs, I said to myself, to hell with this, I am waiting to get my license. So I did.
  4. I don't drink alcohol. This is a common question from people - why don't you drink? Well, there are a couple of reasons. I have a relative that is an alcoholic, so I am sometimes afraid I might have inherited it. My parents never drank. I used to watch people at high school dances stumbling around, not remembering what they did the night before. I realize the difference between high school drinking and adult/responsible/social drinking, but at this point I don't really care to start. It has become my game of "well if I can make it through THAT, then why bother starting?"
  5. I have 2 drawers of neatly folded, color-coded socks. This is what they call OCD.
  6. I have an aversion to opaque drinks - milk, tomato juice, etc. I don't drink anything that light doesn't pass through. This is not a conscious effort, just something I noticed is a pattern. I don't even like chocolate milk, but I love chocolate everything else, unless it is...
  7. Food shaped like animals. I can't eat it if it's shaped like an animal. I'm not sure why or how I developed that aversion. As a kid I remember eating animal crackers. Not anymore. No chocolate easter bunnies either. It's like I'm hurting them. If I hit an animal on the road, I would be sad, but nowhere near as sad as if it was a stuffed animal. I realize this is not right. One should feel more sympathy toward the living than the inanimate. It's funny that I am not a vegetarian. I love a good piece of steak, don't really care that a cow had to die so I could eat, but man, if it was shaped like a cow, look out.
  8. I travelled around the world at age 10. Most people know this, I think, and I like to talk about it, but don't bring it up that often because some people take it the wrong way and make me out to be a braggart, which I am pretty far from being. I was going to say more on this but maybe I'll make it a separate post. Since this is my blog I can do whatever the heck I want, and don't need to worry about boring people. If you're bored, click that magical x in the upper right hand corner.
  9. I love ham, and it has seemed to become somewhat of my trademark.

2 comments:

Chris W said...

What about a piece of ham shaped like an animal?

liz said...

Well, if you could form the ham into the shape of an animal, that just may be a marketable skill. And I would also wonder if it was real ham. I prefer ham that is not vacuum-sealed. Real ham, on the bone, slow-boiled in a giant pot with honey and brown sugar... mmmmmmmm, ham