Friday, April 21, 2006

The rest of my trip

Friday afternoon I went to Good Friday mass. It was... interesting. They had 9 singers, a piano, a guitar, a bass guitar, and drums. It was the most dramatic performance music I've heard to accompany what is supposed to be the solemn Good Friday mass. Mass itself was not very crowded, it being the afternoon and not a stat holiday. Next time I go out there, I'll have to try some other churches and see if I can't stumble on a more traditional mass.

Saturday was the wedding of John's best friend. It started off a pretty crappy day, actually. I seemed to be running behind, having not done my manicure yet, noticing wrinkles in my dress, getting my dress dirty as I put it on... I was losing my temper. We finally managed to make it out the door, stopped at Target for some umbrellas for the wedding guests in case the weather turned, and then headed on to Laguna Beach.

The wedding ceremony was held in the Heisler Park Gazebo, which overlooks the Pacific. Here's a pic of it and the scenery to the left & right of it.

This last pic shows a spot off in the distance close to where John used to do Tai Chi.

The wedding was non-traditional in a few senses. Wedding photos were taken before the ceremony. The reception was held at the restaurant next to the gazebo, Las Brisas. There was no head table (I was able to sit with John), no toasts by the best man, and no wedding cake (which is why I don't have a picture for Suzy). Just people having lunch together with the new couple and having a good time. We sat with two of John's friends and were often joined by the bride & groom for a chat. With the guest list being small, they were able to spend more time with us. It was a very classy, different, relaxed wedding and we had a great time.

After the wedding, we came home and while still dressed up, John proposed. The rest of the day is personal. :P

Sunday morning we got up and started to cook breakfast while deciding what Easter mass we'd attend. We started receiving notes and calls from people by then with congratulations. We headed off for a noon mass, where we were lucky to get a seat. Churches are certainly more well-attended than here, I'll give them that. After church we came home and I began to let my family know of the news. I called my Dad first, he seemed genuinely shocked but congratulated me. He called me last night to ask me a software question and said "so do you have a ring?" "Yes Dad, I actually picked it out myself." I think it's still sinking in for him. My brothers were both surprised but seemed happy to hear the news. My older brother still hasn't met John yet, so I need to find a way to get the two of them in the same spot and introduce them. My grandfather had the best response, he just let out this huge whoop! and seemed very happy to hear my news.

Next was an email to aunts, uncles and cousins and I also added my mother to that list, despite the fact she's still not talking to me. A couple of relatives seemed to give what I'd call more formal replies, I think they're worried I don't know what I'm doing. My mother hasn't said a word, which is both good and bad at the same time.

A work colleague sent me an ecard when I would normally have gotten a phone call from him regarding the news. Maybe he's just out of town and can't call, but it seemed a bit odd to me.

Most people at work were happy for me, but there were a couple of people who seemed insulted by the fact that I didn't specifically seek them out to tell them my news. Well, if you heard the cheers from the other side of the office, why didn't you come by and see what the fuss was about, instead of sitting in your office being indignant? Whatever. Thanks for trying to make it about you instead of me.

Between the mixed responses and the barrage of questions I really didn't have that great of a first day back. The reactions have been interesting, to say the least.

Anyway, back to my trip.

Sunday afternoon we had lupper at Olive Garden. Late afternoon is a good time to go, the only exception being the obnoxious kid who deserved some old-fashioned corporal punishment for yelling everything he said (he was heard through the whole dining room) and being rude to the waiter.

Monday morning John worked and I headed across the street to do a bit of shopping. Didn't buy much for myself this trip, mostly books and soap and a measuring cup. In the afternoon he came home and we headed out for lunch at Cathay Newport (Asian food). We went to the beach and spent some time there. Also hit See's Candy so I could get some more Peanut Brittle Bars. Have eaten 2 already since being home. Finally we hit Krispy Kreme so I could get another donut. mmmm, Krispy Kreme.

Tuesday morning I went to Costco, the grocery store, and Target. In the afternoon John came home and grilled me another delicious steak (totally spoiled now) and I had to pack. We watched Capote that night.

I can't recall specifically which nights we watched movies on, but we watched 4 DVDs at home. Not much of interest at the theater right now. We saw Austin Powers in Goldmember (John had never seen it and it made an easily available rental from Netflix); Proof (I preferred the stage play to the screen version); Derailed (ugh, bad movie); and Capote (good performances, movie felt like 3h instead of 2).

The cat and I were getting along great... until Saturday. I think she's protesting the proposal. All of a sudden she stopping letting me pet/scratch her, she would move her head away from me. She stuck around long enough to have some pink brush treatment, but didn't want anything else to do with me. She knows she's been permanently bumped down to #2 in John's life, and she's not happy about it.

Wednesday morning we had set the alarm for 5:30am. Considering the fact that that was 9:30am Atlantic, it wasn't so bad for me. I was busy packing the few remaining items which luckily distracted me from being upset. The shuttle came and away I went. The look on John's face as I drove away was pretty heartbreaking -- I hate that look. At least I wasn't bawling all over him this time.

The flights home were a bit shorter due to tail winds instead of head winds. About the only thing exciting to happen was the lady across the aisle on my LAX-YUL flight who puked up orange juice all over those seats before we even took off. She'd apparently had food poisining.

My luggage made out impressively well, especially considering the fact that it weighed 58lbs on the return trip. The limit is 50lbs and they're supposed to charge you over that, but they let me off the hook. Next time I want to buy books while I'm away, I'd better take 2 suitcases. :)

1 comment:

mare said...

sounds like a great time. :)

lisa and i saw your dad at the movies last night, he said he was very shocked by the news. we said we were excited. :)