Friday, May 20, 2005

Another Friday morning

No sign of mice this morning, of course, now that there are traps out. They are too smart for that.

Let’s see. What else have I been up to this week, other than mice?


Church

I preface this by saying I don’t really know anything that will happen here, these are just my thoughts and opinions on what some of the fallout might be. Not trying to spread rumors, just some speculation on my part.

I got some very distressing news yesterday. The Redemptorists have decided to leave Saint John in a year, leaving my church in the hands of the Diocese. My church has been served by the Redemptorists since it first opened in 1885. A long history. I am really upset about this, as there will no doubt be a lot of repercussions. This of course will mean our current priests will leave, as they will be assigned to the other Redeptorist churches across Canada. We’ll then be on par with the other churches in the Diocese, having a priest assigned to us by the Bishop, from the already too-small pool of priests.

This is really tough, because I can see where it’s going. The inevitable discussion of too many churches for not enough parishoners in our Diocese. Bottom line: church closures. IMO, the only church that is “safe” from closure is the Cathedral. My church, being one of two churches in the North End, is certainly in the target area of discussion for closure. If the Redeptorists had stayed here, with their support we might have had a solid case for remaining open. Now that they’re leaving, if the Bishop begins the dialogue on which churches might be up for closure, timing might suggest that my church be one of the ones to go.

This saddens me more than I can say. I know church is just a building, as no doubt a lot of you reading this would regard it. True, it is just a building, and I can find another to go to. But it means more to me personally that just being a building. It’s almost like a second home to me. Someday I want to be married in it, and go there with my family, should I decide to have one.

Through many years of many changes, church is one of the very few things that has remained consistent, and now it appears it’s ready for some upheaval as well. Please don’t take this away.


Wall of Shame

Printed out some new pics for the wall of shame. Now I just have to paint the frames and I’m all set. Did your picture make it on the Wall of Shame? Come on over and find out :)


Friday Feast

Not doing the feast this week. A couple of the questions have already been covered in other questionnaires lately, and I had planned on doing the 10 brand name list sometime in the next couple of days.


Health

I appear to be in good health. Went to the doctor this week for the usual check-up type things. Blood pressure is good. “Definitely not overweight” as my doctor put it. She sent me in for the routine “sister of a diabetic” bloodwork, as well as a cholesterol check while I was at it, which I had done yesterday. Results to come later.


SteveAustin

Helped Mare transfer her files the last 2 nights. Steve Austin is now fully up & running. Her problem with reply-to-all was actually not to do with McAfee, it was that it was trying to dial my Vibe connection, so that was easily solved with a tick box.


Federal Politics

I don’t profess to know much about this. But watching the activity this week, I have a few thoughts, however superficial they may be.

Sure Belinda Stronach left for a plumb job. Lots of people would. This doesn’t mean you should call her names. In fact, I am pretty sure there are a lot less intelligent men in Parliament now than Belinda. So can it with the awful remarks, they really are demeaning.

I didn’t want an election either. Not because I was scared the Liberals would be defeated, but because I really don’t believe Stephen Harper has what it takes to lead the country. He’s made it obvious in the past that he doesn’t give a rat’s ass about Atlantic Canada. Sure, he’s backpedalled since then, but don’t think I’m going to forget that. Peter MacKay would have made a much better leader, not because he’s from Nova Scotia, but because he just seems like a smarter, much nicer guy, with actual feelings for our country as a whole.

Btw, you’re now single and so am I…. call me in June ;)

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Church: I admit. I am probably the least spiritual/religious person I know. However, I do appreciate that others have faith.

I'm sorry to hear about your church and I truly hope things don't change for the worst.

Politics: At least Belinda isn't in it for the money...

Relationships: Single?! Not yet honey, but I'll let you know when I am. ~_^ LOL (Sorry, couldn't resist :-P)

Chris W said...

I just want to know: When exactly did it become the Wall of Shame? What are we all doing in the original photos to inspire that title? Hmmm? :)

liz said...

Well, I was referring to Peter MacKay, who was working on his dad's farm after being dumped. Not only is he cute, but obviously he looks like he'd be good at planting a lawn. Call me, Peter. I am so much hotter than Belinda.

Nothing really, it just seems to have adopted that title for no good reason. It does need a more appropriate, catchy name. Suggestions?

Anonymous said...

hmmmm... i can plant a garden LOL
also... I have a KJV, American Standard, New Life and New KJ bibles! :-)

mare said...

peter mackay, eh? dubious.

when i made it, i think it was just the photo wall. i still like the name "wall of infamy".

Karen said...

Small world ...

Speaking of Peter MacKay, I was pretty good friends with his mom when I was at university. She is an absolute sweetheart, so if you get anywhere, Liz, she'd make a great mom-in-law. :)

Maybe it's because I'm only "two degrees" away from him, I find myself feeling genuinely bad for Peter. Not nice to get dumped in the first place, but ... ugh.