Saturday, May 21, 2005

Not that great a Saturday

First off, let me start with Friday night. Went to see Sunshine Boys, which was excellent. The cast fit their roles perfectly and did a terrific job. Another great performance by Scott T, and many kudos to Jay on a great directing job as well!

Wasn't particularly impressed by the intense backstage security, especially when you were taken backstage by the director... I know there are reasons for it but I don't think I look like the kind of person who's going to cause any trouble.


Fun with diabetes

Day started off with me waking up at normal work time, but there was no way I wasn't going to sleep in this morning, first day of the long weekend. Phone rang around 10:30ish, it was my Dad, who I haven't talked to since he & younger brother returned from the diabetic clinic. He asked if I had talked to my brother since he got back, but I hadn't. I asked him how things went and the news wasn't good. Most of his tests came back with bad results. It seems he has eye, kidney and liver damage as well as high cholesterol from persistent high blood sugar. Diabetes can do a number on your body if you don't manage it properly.

So I have yet to speak to him myself, but I hope he takes this as a huge wake-up call. You can't reverse the damage but you can stop it from continuing. He needs to start monitoring his blood sugar more closely than he has been, and also needs to start eating better. One good thing he does do is walk a lot, so he's got exercise covered. They also put him on new insulin, which Dad said even just during the time they were there he noticed an improvement, so that is good. I'll have to try and track him down this weekend and see what he says in person.


More info about church

Went to church today. Hadn't been to my own church in 3 weeks - 2 weeks ago I was in Calais and last weekend my brother was over doing his laundry and I didn't want to get up and leave because we were having a nice time together. So back to my own church today, where I found out some more info on the upheaval. They printed a letter in the bulletin from the head of the Redeptorists in Canada detailing the reasons why they chose to leave SJ. Basically it's a matter of not enough priests. They've lost 17 members alone this year. Some parishoners have started a petition to keep the Redemptorists here, but it's really not going to help. As much as I don't want this to happen, there really isn't anything we can do as a parish to convince them otherwise. There just aren't enough priests, and nothing can change that situation right now. So this looks like a done deal.

One thing I didn't see the rationale in was that they are moving our Pastor to St. Patrick's in Toronto this year. If they're only going to remain in SJ for one more year, why not have him finish out here? I guess you can't hold back his career for the sake of a church that you won't be a part of in a year's time, I understand that part, I guess. I wish him well in his new appointment, it's a huge responsibility and I know he will approach it with a lot of energy and skill. I will have to make sure the next time I am in Toronto to go there. He will be missed, I enjoyed working with him. In the meantime, the priest we have filling in right now while our pastor is on sebbatical will remain here for the rest of the time the Redemptorists are here. He seems nice and is an interesting speaker.


Another of those crazy tasks

Every once in a while I find myself out of my element. Usually those experiences have something to do with my Dad. Today Dad called a second time, around 1pm, asking if I was going out anywhere today. Other than church I had nothing planned. He needed a favour. There was a guy coming up from St. Andrews to buy a trailer, and he was in the middle of changing the oil on a lawn tractor and needed me to go to Halifax Seed to buy a filter. So I drove over to his office, where he had the tractor strung up on a hoist as he was working on it. He gave me a piece of paper with the model of the tractor on it, and then gave me the filter and told me to make sure it was a filter for a hydroelectric transmission and not an engine. Ok. I think I can remember that. I just hope the guy at the counter knows what I'm talking about.

So I get to the store and they seem to be a little perplexed by what I am asking for. In the end they didn't have any in stock so I had to order them in. Heard my phone beeping and realized Dad had called while I was driving out, so I called him back and he said he called ahead and told them also to give me 12 quarts of Omni oil. It's actually Opti oil so the counter guy looked at me a little funny, but oh well.

Came back with the oil and Dad still hadn't seen the trailer guy. Sent me up the street to fill a gas can. I've never done that before, and I can recall seeing signs at gas stations with stick men filling gas tanks on the backs of pickups, with a big red X through it. This got me to thinking if there were some kind of rules I was supposed to follow? Anyway, I managed to get $5 in gas, not spill or blow anything up, so that was good. My car smelled like gas all the way home though, I wasn't sure if it was a good idea if I put it in the trunk or not so I kept the can in the backseat.

Delivered the gas can and Dad said he was sorry to put me to the trouble of running these errands. I said don't worry about it, it's not like I don't owe you a pile of favours!!! After all my Dad has done for me lately, it's no problem to do a couple of small things for him. And I got to learn the difference between lawn tractor oil filters. Did you know the gas pedal on this tractor works so that you press the top of the pedal to go forward and the bottom of the pedal to go backward? And that it propels itself on oil pressure? Always learn something from my dad. My Dad is a very interesting guy. One day he's negotiating deals, and the next day he's changing oil in a lawn tractor. A man of many talents.


80s-less Saturday Night

Turned the radio on a couple of minutes after 10 tonight. Alicia Keys was on. Ummm, this is Saturday night and it's after 10pm... where's the 80s? Hello? This is the reason I am home tonight. Well, that and I had nothing else to do. But that's beside the point. I had tonight planned around 80s night, I was going to do a bunch of stuff around the house while it was on. Extremely disappointed.


Sunday plans

Tomorrow I have some definite things I want to get done. First off is painting the picture frames. I have a few sticks of wood left, and since it will be cold & rainy, I think I'll burn the rest of the wood and it will also be warm down there while I paint and while they dry. Then I can get the pics actually up on the wall, and the other frames will be ready for more pictures when I want to use them.

Have to head out the Mart of Wal and pick up a couple of household cleaning products. Also want to stop by Winners and see if there's anything interesting. I'd like to have some new rugs for the bathroom that aren't black, but I haven't seen anything yet.


That's about it from Chez Liz. If anyone wants to do something Sunday night gimme a call. My place is always open for visitors :)

3 comments:

mare said...

yeah, i ran around to the mall and cleaned and stuff yesterday too, which you would see if you read my blog with its liz-style enormopost (tm).

but that security was wack. hello, taking your volunteering a bit too seriously, my dear.

Cyn said...

Um yikes on the gas can! I believe the laws on that are the same as a propane tank - NEVER in the passenger cab of a vehicle and must be secured in the cargo area (aka the trunk) so that it won't move around. hehe!
Sounds like an otherwise fun weekend.
Good that Little Bro got some info from the clinic - even though it wasn't the greatest of news at least he has something to jump from.

canadianicewolf said...

Here's hoping that lil bro's new meds will help keep his body on track!