Sunday, May 08, 2005

Pathetic Man Day

While today is technically Mother's Day, while I was out shopping I noticed the ever-present, somewhat stereotypical trend of pathetic men out shopping for their Mom at the last minute.

There really aren't many Mother's Day cards left on the shelves on Mother's Day. The stores usually have these things out early for a reason, which is so that you buy them early. Not at the last minute. You mom knows you bought it at the last minute, which probably makes her feel like you don't think of her until the last minute. While this may not necessarily be true, this is what you are projecting. There are also not that many floral arrangements left at this time of day on the holiday. Guys, you'd better think of something else to get your mom.

The worst action I saw today, while not necessarily related directly to Mother's Day (I hope!!!) was the guy behind me in the Sobeys checkout, who leaned/squatted down/went out of his way to get the full view of the new June issue of Cosmo. Dude. That was pa-thet-ic. Or you are gay and you wanted a good look at the cut of Jessica Simpson's dress. If that was the case, you're ok. But only if that was the case.

After that I headed to Canadian Tire, and was kind of scared of what I might see men buying there. There was a guy staring intently at a can of Endust... I hope to God his wife was in the store and he was just holding it.

My advice to those out shopping right now: don't bother. She'll know you waited until the last minute and will make a direct correlation with how little you care about her and can't be bothered to do anything unless you feel you have to. This may be the total opposite of what your intentions are. Regardless of that, she's going to take it badly. So instead of the last minute card and the sickly looking flowers, do something that will really mean something to her. Like actually telling her you love her or get the rest of your family to cook dinner for her. Call me crazy, I think this just may be an idea.

1 comment:

mare said...

ha! endust! that's awesome.