Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Sore Throat: Day Five

Enough already. I know you're sore. I should actually thank you for allowing me to stay home sick today, since it was really crappy out and they didn't plow my street until 2pm. However, now that that's over, I need to get some stuff done. So if you could move along, I'd appreciate it.

I did do some work today but ended up sleeping a lot of the time. Now I feel like a sloth for not getting much done today, but it's not like I felt wonderful and could have done a whole lot.

I made it to class last night, and as I usually find with any kind of class, it's good not to miss one. We have a dance routine that we're supposedly performing at the end of our 10 weeks, or is it at the party on the 20th? Either way, I need to practice. I actually came home last night after class and put another hour in. I'm not used to this dance routine scenario, I feel more comfortable when I can wing it, and don't have to count in my head. If I could just move to the music without having to remember to be in a specific step at a specific time, I would be better. But alas, I will practice the routine and try to become decent at it. Repetition is the key.

I am scheduled to be the West Side Shuttle this weekend for the grown-up dinner party where my friends will be drinking wine and eating smoked salmon. I'll be at the kiddy table with my pop and picking the green beans off my plate. I'm not exactly the least embrassing person to have at a dinner party. I was pretty much raised in a meat & potatoes household and haven't really managed to shake that habit. Living in SJ doesn't exactly present you with a lot of different foreign food choices either, but I also wasn't out looking for them. Rice seems to be a big thing for me this winter, as it is really fast to prepare after coming home from work and is healthier than the chips or popcorn suppers I am sometimes guilty of having. I don't remember ever having rice to eat as a kid. So let's just say I am pretty limited in my food experience. Combined with a picky-eater syndrome, I basically look like a big stick in the mud party pooper. I am starting to branch out and try new foods, but I have to decline on the smoked salmon and green beans. Tried them, don't like them. I hate being the one sitting there picking things off my plate. Please don't take it personally. I am just a freak who doesn't like a lot of foods and it has no references towards anyone's cooking abilities. The rest of you enjoy my share and I will most certainly appreciate the pork & "smashed" potatoes.

While I am looking forward to the party, I am not looking forward to the trip to the liquor store to go get a bottle of wine. We were given suggestions of what to bring and what not to bring but this isn't helping me. As evidenced a few weekends ago, when I walk into a liquor store (the number of times I've done that I can count on one hand) I have no idea what I'm doing. I will have to go armed with a copy of the email with strange French- and German-named wine varieties on it, enter the store, look lost, and hope to pick up some hot guy in the wine section who in passing mentions that he actually doesn't drink, he's just buying some wine to take to a dinner party that he's driving his friends to after he gets out of church. A girl can dream, can't she?

So speaking of food, the aforementioned party for belly dancing class is on the 20th, and it is middle-eastern pot luck. Another dilemma I am faced with. The instructor mentioned the lady with the Turkish food at the market on Saturdays, but she mentioned this to the whole class and I'd like to do something different. I actually just read a couple of cookie recipes that sound reasonable and has ingredients that I know I can find, hmmm. Maybe I'll give that a whirl. The recipe has a Turkish variation with cocoa so maybe I'll try that.

8 comments:

Cyn said...

Here's my vote... something I got seriously addicted to while I was in Hamilton... There was a little Persian restaurant in the food court where I worked soooo..... I've tried oodles of different sorts of it. Plus a good friend up there is from Afghanistan. Yummy! Yummy! Yummy! I know the recipe says 4 servings, but well... I usually prefer it as a side dish so this recipe could probably do as more like 6-8 servings.

Vegetable Masala

"Masala means a spicy mixture. Vegetable masala is a mixture of vegetables like potatoes, carrots, peas and beans cooked with onions & tomatoes adding spices like garam masala powder, ginger and garlic powder." Original recipe yield: 4 servings.

INGREDIENTS:
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 carrot, chopped
10 French-style green beans, chopped
1 quart cold water
1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tomatoes - blanched, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 sprig cilantro leaves, for garnish

DIRECTIONS:
1. Place potatoes, carrots and green beans in the cold water. Allow to soak while you prepare the rest of the vegetables; drain.
2. In a microwave safe dish place the potatoes, carrots, green beans, peas, salt and turmeric. Cook for 8 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook mustard seeds and cumin; when seeds start to sputter and pop, add the onion and saute until transparent. Stir in the tomatoes, garam masala, ginger, garlic and chili powder; saute 3 minutes. Add the cooked vegetables to the tomato mixture and saute 1 minute. Garnish with cilantro leaves.

Chris W said...

Huh. I was sort of assuming that since you weren't going to be drinking any, there was no need for you to bring wine. Makes sense to me.

liz said...

Cyn: thx for the recipe, I will give it some thought.

Chris: good point. But I figured since Mare is feeding me I should still bring wine as a gift, rather than show up at a dinner party with nothing for the host. Then I really would be banished to the kiddy table.

Anonymous said...

Hmph. Mare is just stressing as she thought everyone liked smoked salmon and now she has to switch salads. Hmmmmm. Maybe spinach salad instead. I make a mean spinach salad. Yes, that is what I will do.
As for the green beans, suck it up. I gave you roast pork and mashed potatoes that are going to rock, I'm even serving sauce on the side, Mrs. Picky.
And as for the kiddy table, well, I did bring one up from the basement, but I think we can all fit at the big table. You don't have to bring wine if you'd prefer to bring something else? A couple of nice cheeses to try wouldn't go amiss.

liz said...

My point was not to change anything on my behalf, just to not take it personally if I don't eat something.

Last time I checked I wasn't married... yup, just checked again, still not married.

I'll come up with something. I certainly will not be showing up empty-handed (hov rude!)

Anonymous said...

no, no, the point of the dinner party is to have something everyone can enjoy. i'll think of something.

and cyn's recipe looks good!

Cyn said...

Oh it's very yummy! And substituting eggplant or more carrots instead of the green beans works well.

Lisa said...

You could bring a bottle of sparkling juice or cider. You can some nice ones at Pete's Frootique in the City Market. I'm not sure how much they are, but it may be something to consider. Then you wouldn't feel left out when everyone else is cracking open their bottles. ^_^

There is an easy recipe that I got from Scott. It's a package of yellow curry power, coconut milk, water, chicken, onions and potatos (or sweet potato). I can't recall the brand of curry, but its super easy (Easy enough that even I'll cook it. :-P). I'll ask Scott and get back to you.