Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Soundtrack of life

To answer Mare's question regarding what other people's soundtracks of their life would be like:

I love music. I actually will listen to a lot of different styles of music. My ex used to comment that when he got in my car, it was always totally different music each time, one time 80s, one time Eminem, one time JCS. I am, however, guilty of being pretty pop-esque with my music. I am usually about the singles, and don't tend to listen to an album the whole way through.

I listen to pop, rock, classical, musicals. Refuse to listen to country, I just don't like it. Also greatly dislike Maritime music... it's like fingers down a chalkboard to me. I am one of the few people I know who doesn't like it.

Favorite bands: Heart, U2, INXS, Sheryl Crow, Duran Duran. (U2 is listed in my profile on this blog but for some strange reason does not show up)

Early childhood: Mainly my parents' records. Beatles and ABBA. I remember staring at the women on the ABBA album and reflecting on how large the boots were. Also my Olivia Newton-John phase. I can't be the only one who watched Xanadu? And liked it? (at the time. I refuse to go back and watch it now that I am older, it will ruin it) I still have a 45 of Magic by ONJ in a box in the basement.

Elementary & early junior high: the golden age of my music-listening. Basically listened to anything my older brother liked. 80s pop. I Want Money by The Flying Lizards was an early one I remember. Don't You Want Me by Human League, which at the time were Human League 100. Used to have this white record player, I remember my brother and I playing that 45 on that player. Color by Numbers by Culture Club - the first time I saw that album cover, I could not tell that Boy George was a guy, I really couldn't. Take a look and tell me if you agree, remembering that I was 8 when this came out. One Night in Bangkok, from the musical Chess, was also one of our favorites. And of course Duran Duran (14 more sleeps!!) One of the first 45s I ever owned myself was Stay The Night by Chicago (the Peter Cetera era). My mother was horrified. I was young, I had no idea what the song was about. "stay the night, there's room enough here for two, stay the night, I'd like to spend it with you..." I think it had a cool video with a car chase or crash or something in it?

Most of all during this time frame for my brother was Madonna. He *loved* Madonna. He literally had every piece of wall on his bedroom covered in pictures of Madonna. I am not exaggerating this. Seriously. Ask him. There was not a spot of white paint visible on any wall. Should have seen the pin holes after he moved out!!

We watched a lot of videos and listened to a lot of music together, my brother and I. Good times.

Mid-late junior high: My best friend at this time was really into hair bands, so I adopted that as well. This was also when my brother left to go to university, so my musical tastes began to branch out. Desire was the first song I liked by U2, my brother was never a big fan of theirs, so this was a change for me. Also remember loving New Sensation by INXS. Quickly picked up their earlier material as well, with my best friend teasing me for liking a song called Kiss The Dirt (that's a great song, I love it). Constantly watched MuchMusic during this time, I knew every video they played. Batdance!

High school: The new friends I made were into musicals, so I began listening to those as well. This was the point in time where I taped Robin Hood Daffy and would play it in the car on my way to school. This is how I know all of the words, and stuck that quote that is up there under Daffy without even having to think about it. Started listening to some classical music. Went to every school dance. Heard Achtung Baby while in a car on my way to the correctional facility on the Old Black River Road (that sounds bad! It was a field trip for sociology class). This was what solidified my love of U2, and remains my favorite album of theirs.

University (mid 90s): Wasteland of Nirvana, grunge, bad dance music, and crap. Some people have a great love of Nirvana. I am not one of those people. During this time, I really didn't listen to anything that was current. I started listening to The Doors, and relied on whatever else I had previously collected.

Late 90s/early 00s: Started work, and most people I worked with were my age, so there was a lot of boy bands and pop tarts. The ex was also heavily into this, as well as techno, and some rap. I miss the discussions we would have about songs and videos, and his knack for making up funny song lyrics. We'd always be up on the charts and download anything new from them. Basically didn't pull out a cd from my collection for about 4 years. The ex didn't like anything old. Or most of what I liked before we got together. I would sing Sheryl Crow's The Globe Sessions in my cubicle at work, I think I was described as a howling cat.

Now: A lot of 80s. It brings back good memories for me. Rediscovered my huge rack of cds, and wondered why I ever left it. No longer have to live under scorn of ex's opinions about my love for 80s music. Now I watch a lot of MuchMoreMusic, I guess that switch comes with age. I like some current music, a lot of it I don't like, and think it's a waste of space. Songs in which it's cool to discuss how many times you've been shot come to mind as being crap. My opinion.

My core favorites are still out there making music, and I keep up with them. Have to say though that I am really disappointed in the last offering from Heart. It just sounded like they were trying to recapture a past they could never get back to. U2 continues to make great music. I have been very excited that the original members of Duran Duran are back together, and their latest offering is really good. I miss INXS terribly but am grateful for the music I do have from them. The latest plan for a Mark Burnett-produced reality show called Rock Star, with INXS searching for a new lead singer, leaves me feeling skeptical. There is no replacing Michael, and I have a hard time ever seeing anyone else as their lead singer. They would have to decide to perform totally new songs, a la Van Halen.

2 comments:

Scum said...

Yeah, Boy George is definitely an ugly woman in that photo. I refuse to talk about my soundtrack... I prefer to refer to is as "ecclectic" and leave it at that. A better word might be "varied"... I'm sure Vagabond can come up with some even better words. :)

mare said...

read: dave listened to milli vanilli after the lip synch scandal.