Wednesday, April 20, 2005

More witty commentary

TV Guide came in the mail today and yes I am writing a blog entry about it. Had some interesting stuff in it.

Nicolette Sheridan is on the cover. One word comes to mind: airbrush. Did you know she lost the part of Grace in Will & Grace at the final auditions? Thanks imdb.

Ricky Gervais is writing an episode of The Simpsons and will also appear on Arrested Development next season, if they have a next season.

Jennifer Garner is going to direct an episode of Alias and this episode will feature Sloane's supposedly-dead wife Emily. I am behind a couple of episdoes so maybe references to her have already been made. If not sorry for the spoiler :P

The Surreal Life 4 is going to have Janice Dickinson, a.k.a. the world's first supermodel and judge on America's Next Top Model, rooming with Omarosa from season 1 of The Apprentice. Network execs are sitting around saying the phrase "ratings gold!" as we speak. Personally I hope Janice rips Omarosa a new one.

This week's style section focused on menswear. The suits caught my eye so I feel I must comment on the supposed current trends:

Pinstripe suits are back. It is also being suggested that pink is a good color for the pinstripe. That isn't a bad way to sneak in the pink if you're afraid. However, let's face it - the current pink shirt craze in the menswear world can only be pulled off by certain guys. Not everyone can do the pink shirt. You have to have the attitude to go with it, otherwise you just end up looking like a dork in a pink shirt.

Mixing patterns is also supposed to be a hot trend. Not sure I like this one. Stripes and checkers together is just too much, even if they are in the same color genre. They'd have to be small enough to not notice the difference in pattern. This just doesn't seem to be a good idea, but I'm not a mens' stylist now, am I?

The "wifebeater" is supposedly a hot item of the season. If you haven't been a gym regular for a few years, don't bother. You have to have even more attitude to go with a wifebeater than a pink shirt. And decent arms. And no beer gut. I speak from 4 years experience of seeing the wifebeater in use. Trust me.

3 comments:

liz said...

I would normally think I'd be offended by "wifebeater" but I'm not. Not sure why I'm not. I guess I picture the shirt and not some old fat guy beating up his wife.

Surly Canuck said...

I hate that term too... what's next? Child Molester Pants?

mare said...

ryan was all over the wifebeater, it was good times on the o.c.

and the leather choker. i wonder whatever happened to the choker.