Friday, April 29, 2005

Tough news.

I called my older brother today to get some advice on the popcorn machine. He didn't sound too well so I asked him if everything was ok.

He walked into work this morning and found out he'd been laid off. With no warning. For economic reasons, the small company he worked for couldn't afford to keep him employed. That is all understandable, and to some extent, expected. What is not understandable is the very impersonal way he was informed. I don't really want to blog specifics on that. It was just really disappointing for it to have been done the way it was done. He deserved better.

My brother has my nephew to support, and as well they're in the middle of building this big new house. Very tough to have this news today. The upside is that he hadn't been very happy in this job anyway, so this will hopefully lead to something much better for him. He has a degree, experience, and a knack for business like my dad so there are a lot worse positions to be in.

So I am feeling pretty down right now for my brothers; both of them, actually. I filed my younger brother's taxes today, so I have one brother who owes a bunch of money he can't afford to the gov't, and the other brother who lost his job. I love them both and I hate to see them go through hard times. I pray it won't last long for either of them.

2 comments:

mare said...

yeah, that sucks all right, but i'm sure he'll be fine. he'll find something he likes even better. and if he wants french lessons by correspondence, he can email me! what? it would mean he could put on his resume that he's learning french...

Karen said...

Geez, the guy can't get a break. :(

If you're talking to him, tell him I'm pulling for him.