Monday, June 06, 2005

I came. I sang. I left.

Friday

Friday was the big "help with wedding decorations" day. Turns out when we arrived at the yacht club, everything was pretty much done and we weren't really needed. So off to the Somerset.

Arriving at karaoke on Friday night, we quickly realized we had the bar to ourselves. Knowing that Lisa loves karaoke but not singing by herself the WHOLE night, we had a mission. I somehow decided I would be part of the mission, and got up to sing. A bunch of times actually. So for those of you who missed it, too bad, that may have been your only chance. Not sure if I'll have the guts to do it again. I could hear myself sucking, but everyone was nice enough to not tell me I sucked and clapped wholeheartedly for me. This one goes out to the supportive table at the back...


Saturday

Saturday was another trip to the Calais mailbox with Jenn, who received lots of fun craft stuff and some neat cards. We did the usual visits to Wal-Mart, Shop N' Save and Mardens. Didn't buy anything all that exciting, some more groceries and a new contour bathmat on sale for $2, which was exactly what I had been looking for.

St. Stephen was actually the warmest place in the country on Saturday, at 31 degrees. I was of course dressed for Saint John weather, so wearing jeans in that heat wasn't the most comfortable. But it was so sunny and nice, it was awesome.

Then was the usual drive into depression-type weather on our way home. At least 10 degrees cooler and not sunny at all. I had to put my jacket back on because I was cold. As we got closer to home we called Lisa to see if she had come through on her threat to hang out on my deck that afternoon, but alas, no answer. So I drove Jenn home and headed straight off to church.

After church we decided to gather at my place and have some BBQ. Also watched "In Good Company" which wasn't bad. Jenn and Stew brought a bunch of games but the lethargic level of the group was so high that even putting the movie in the DVD player seemed like a lot of effort.

Oh, and AGAIN, my radio show was not on. But I did realize I had used the wrong email address, so today I will be writing to the station again and asking where the hell my show is.


Sunday

Another day of sloth-like behaviour. I read a whole book. After that I went for my walk, so I could justify the fact that I sat on the couch all day. Cooked myself some tasteless supper (noodles were kind of bland, and so was the chicken for that matter). After that I felt like watching a movie, so I stuck in Four Weddings and A Funeral. Cleaned the shower. Cleaned the kicthen up from dinner mess. Did my ironing. Attempted to go to sleep. I say "attempted" because again I was stricken with Sunday Night Disease, where if you've slept in too late in the morning, you can't sleep Sunday night.


Dance class

Tonight I have dance class. My enjoyment of dance class has gone downhill quite a bit in the last few weeks. This is due to a bunch of things, I think the most significant being I haven't been practicing. I haven't wanted to practice, really. I just don't feel like it. Last session, she introduced us to our dance routine halfway through the session, and then I had something to work towards. Tonight is week 8 (out of 10) and she's just starting our routine tonight. Maybe then I'll be a little more interested in working on getting a series of the steps down.

Lately I've just found it really frustrating. There are some steps that I just can't get. The kind of steps I know I won't be good at even with a bunch of practice. I've also tried to ask the instructor questions, but she either isn't hearing me or is ignoring me, and since I'm not a forceful/loud/aggressive person, I just let it drop. Balance is an issue for me too, there are a series of steps we have to do on the balls of our feet and I just can't stay in balance. Same problem I had when I was learning to ride a bike, I could never keep my balance long enough to get off the training wheels.

So I don't know whether I'll be continuing with more classes in the fall or not. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the weather is nicer, it's light out at night. When it was winter and it was dark, all I'd normally be doing is sitting in the house watching TV, so getting out and going to class was something good to do. Now I don't feel like being pent up in a room sucking at steps I just can't get. I don't know, we'll see how this routine goes and I'll have the summer off to think about it.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I did see that Jenn had called, but I was so sick when the phone rang I could scarcely lift my head much less ran to the phone. Sorry. I will follow through with the threat eventually!

Chris W said...

I blame the couches for all the lethargy.

Also, I'm so very saddened that the day I'm not there is the day all of you non-singing-types got up to sing. D'oh.

mare said...

lethargic couches! doh!

AND, chris, they got to see mare in a strapless dress, before i headed off to the rehearsal/dinner.

i know about the non-singing types singing bit. it ain't right! i wish i could have seen it.

mowm thanks you for assistance proffered, and wishes you to know donuts will be made available at the next suspects gathering.

canadianicewolf said...

Damn!!! I missed you singing!?! shit!!! And for what?!?! Teaching - not a good enough excuse! :(

There will have to be a re-show you do realize this!!!