Thursday, June 02, 2005

It's that time of year

The birds are chirping, the grass is green, the leaves are sprouting, and the Harbour Bridge is under repair.

Having lived on the West side for the majority of my life, I certainly expect this to happen every year. It's a lot better than it used to be. I remember the days when half the bridge was closed from May-late August/early September. They wouldn't work on weekends or in the evening at all. Strictly a 9-5, weekday, sunny weather only operation. No wonder it took so freakin' long. Thankfully now it takes a few weeks, and they've only closed 1/4 lanes... for now.

For those who think taking the Reversing Falls will be better because of the traffic tie-ups, don't bother. It's worse. You would have been better off just sitting in line on the Harbour Bridge. I've been burned a few times with that thinking.

I have attempted a couple of times this week to drive home shortly after 5pm but the traffic is pretty bad, especially last night where there was also an accident at the intersection of Paradise Row and Somerset St. Of course, by "bad" I don't mean Toronto-esque, but it will take me twice as long to get home.

So I think I've come up with a plan. I generally try to go for a walk when I get home, before having supper. I am thinking why don't I just walk Harbour Passage after work for about an hour, and then tackle the bridge an hour later. That won't alleviate all the lineups but should avoid the busiest time. And I will have already gotten my walk in by the time I get home. I think this will be my plan while the bridge is under repair, barring anything else that comes up that I need to get done.


It's funny, last week was a short week that felt long, and this week was a long week that felt short. I keep looking at the calendar and convincing myself that it is Thursday. Tomorrow is Friday and another weekend is almost here. This weekend sees me helping Mare decorate for her brother's wedding on Friday night. Saturday Jenn and I are making a run for the border again to hit the mailbox (if anyone wants to come, drop me a line).

As now seems the norm, they are now calling for showers on the weekend. Again. This would make the 5th weekend in a row with rain. This week, and especially last night, has been beautiful... the only problem being I have been stuck in an office for most of it. I don't want showers this weekend, come on, we need a break.


Why do certain people insist on putting their fingerprints all over your monitor when they are pointing at something? Do they put fingerprints all over their windows at home? What causes people to do this? If I want to point, I'll point without touching the monitor or point with a pen or something, but rubbing your finger all over my monitor is kind of rude. Thanks for making a mess on my stuff, jackass.

4 comments:

Surly Canuck said...

I have to restrain myself from biting people who touch my screen. Personal pet peeve.

mare said...

i know. i have a laptop and yet, people touch the screen. bugger off already.

everyone hnag a rosary on their clothesline on friday night. that, apparently, will bring good weather on saturday!

:P

Lisa said...

If you need a walking buddy, let me know! ^_^ I get off at 5:30 and have been trying to walk home whenever possible, but I'd be willing to join you for Harbour Passage walks until the traffic thing clears up. Just let me know.

Also, I was thinking I'd order a few more discs from karaoke.com. Do you think I could use your PO box as an address when I do? It's $25 for shipping to Canada (the bastards!).

Surly Canuck said...

Seeing as I have neither a rosary, nor a clothesline, I'll have to rely on something a little more scientific.

I'm gonna hold off on my rain dance until Sunday night.