Sunday, June 12, 2005

Knives are an investment.

Knives are an investment.
Knives are an investment.


Friday

Friday night saw me heading out again for some karaoke. I briefly thought about not singing but got over it. It's more fun when I do. I arrived there after 6pm and Mare and Lisa were standing chatting but there was no karaoke going on. It seemed there was a little thing about a power cord missing. I did eventually arrive by cab, and karaoke was back on. We all discovered the huge difference in R. Kelly's Ignition and the remix for Ignition. Watching Suzy up there reading the words, looking mortified as to how she was going to sing that out loud and then laughing her way through it because it was so ridiculous, that was hilarious. Kudos to Suzy for giving that one the old college try!!! Note to self: never sing R. Kelly's Ignition (original). Or the remix for that matter, I actually hate that song :P

My selections for the evening were Vertical Horizon's Everything You Want (I was meh on that one, a little too low, I won't sing it again). Avril Lavigne's My Happy Ending, where I could not hit a single note and was just torturing the audience, so I changed the last line to be "Thank God this song is ending". Gave Maroon 5's Sunday Morning another stab, I think I'll keep working on that one. Jenn and I got up to do Dolly Parton's 9 to 5, which is a fast song without a lot of breaks but I seemed to remember the rhythm right away and thought I did a decent job with it, and it was fun to sing with a partner. Finally I got up to sing some more Duran Duran, this time The Reflex, when suddenly out of the corner of my eye I see backup dancers coming at me. I started laughing, and then Suzy and Anthony went all out, at one point there was a shirt around me, I could barely get the song out I was laughing so hard. So much fun!

btw, either Scott M or Scott T, will you sing Human League's "Don't You Want Me" next time you're there? I need a partner :)

Knives are an investment.

After karaoke we hit Vito's again, I had some caesar for supper but no dessert. I think I'll try not to leave supper that late again, while I was waiting for my food my energy level took a sharp drop since I hadn't eaten much since lunch. With the meal done, I headed home pretty much exhausted, voice a little scratchy from singing and chatting without a lot of water-drinking. Checked my email and decided I was too tired to write a proper response without staying up until some ungodly hour, so I wrote a quick note and went to bed. Should have just stayed up and replied. Despite being exhausted I couldn't sleep, brain was filled with what I wanted to say in return and so I was restless.

Knives are an investment.


Saturday

Saturday morning I got up and wrote email. Took a shower. Read the reply which had surprisingly but happily arrived earlier than I expected. Started another, but ran out of time as I had my hair appointment waiting.

Got my hair cut & highlighted, so much better now. If I let it go it would just be a dirty, bland, boring blond that looked like crap. No thanks. That's what hair color is for, and thankfully my hair does color beautifully. So much so that my stylist keeps telling me she'd love for me to be a hair model, but that wouldn't be so great to show up at work with some wild haircut/color. It's not like I have to deal with the public in my job, but I am sure my co-workers would look at me pretty strangely if I did something like that. Maybe I should consider it sometime? I'm not much of a risk-taker though.

Knives are an investment.

Hair took a while so I headed straight to church from there. Called Lisa & Anthony just before I went in to see if I could pick them up right after I was done, saving me an extra trip across the bridge. Church seemed to be rather empty, that mass is usually well-attended but there were fewer people than normal. When I got out, the sun started to break through, and I was thankful to see it for the BBQ I was headed to next.

Picked up Anthony & Lisa, then their friend Al, then went to get B but realized I didn't have any more room in my backseat, so he had to drive himself (sorry about that B!) We went back to my house so I could change (I was overdressed for the sunny weather) grab my food and headed to the Booze Hut and Sobeys. While at Sobeys I passed by the spaghetti sauce that was on sale so I picked it up while I was there, much to the amusement of Anthony who had to ask if I was buying it for the BBQ. Then we were off to Nic & Sean's place for BBQ extraorinaire.

Very nice apartment, I do still love (and miss) the heritage architecture. Nic & Sean were great hosts, thanks so much for having a complete stranger over! We sat around and chatted, ate some food, and had some great times. Highlights included the danceoff between Suzy and Anthony, which had been suggested on Friday night so we had to make sure they went through with it. Suzy won. I took some pictures and there is one that will definitely make the wall.

Knives are an investment.

There was also the banana bread that Nic so nicely made at Anthony's request. Having discovered that Anthony loves banana bread, I've now found my resolution to the problem of me only being able to eat about half of one when I make it. Anthony was so excited about the bread that he had to take a round of pictures with it. I designated myself the official slicer due to the fact that I am known for making straight slices (one of my strange skills) so I also ended up being in on the picture action. How the sober girl ends up in pictures posing with banana bread is beyond me.

I've also discovered that I am also an enabler. Anthony was enjoying his Mike's Hard Berry so much that I offered to drive him back to the liquor store a half hour before it closed to get some more, and then he ended up sharing with Micah and Al so we took the obligatory product shot of the 3 of them with their drinks.

Great night, great BBQ, had an awesome time. Thanks again for the invite and the hospitality!

Came home and finished my email, was up until 1:45am, but had my radio show been on, I would have normally been up that late on Saturday night anyway. Still wasn't on last night, I checked on the drive home. I am going to have to get my sources on that and see what happened.


Sunday

Forced myself up at 10am so I might feel like sleeping tonight. Just finished crawling out of and making the bed when Jenn called, asking if we wanted to see Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants at 12:10, with a stop in the north end first. So I picked up my groggy pace, got dressed, ate a muffin, checked email, and headed out to pick up Jenn.

Knives are an investment.

The movie was good but there were a lot of things they changed from the book that didn't need to be changed, so we were a bit disappointed. During one scene you could hear practically every woman in the theatre crying (me included, couldn't help it, but hey, I wasn't alone!). The actresses were good in the roles, I especially thought Amber Tamblyn was really good as Tibby, but the other 3 were really good too. I just wish they had kept the Greece storyline resembling the book, they totally changed it. The cool part was you could tell they filmed the Wallman's parts in Zellers, because the tags on the shelves were Zellers tags!!! Jenn and I giggled and said "Zellers! Cool!" Shopping nerds :)

A little ways into the movie, the thought actually occurred to me that this might be a Scott M and Anthony pick. You guys watched From Justin To Kelly, so why not this one? It does have teenage girls in their underwear.

After the movie, Jenn went with me for some shopping I've been meaning to do, needed to get laundry supplies and wanted a second cutting board so I also made a trip to Winners. Walking into Winners I said, you know, I really need a new Chef's knife. Lo and behold, Liz walked out of Winners with $80 in knives/a sharpener. I've been trying to rationalize my excessive spending on the fact that knives are an investment. Really, they are. I do enjoy good quality knives. They are much easier to work with. I have a problem.

Next was Wal-Mart. As I was walking down the aisle to grab some chip dip, I noticed one of those Rollback signs they have up all over the place. Suddenly I had a moment. I turned to Jenn and said, "So if Gwen Stefani worked at Wal-Mart, would she be a Rollaback Girl?" Jenn rolled her eyes at me, as I laughed my butt off, and then I realized only my brother would truly appreciate that joke. Out came the cell phone and I was calling him in Montreal. He laughed heartily and said he would have thought the same thing had he been in Wal-Mart. Then he asked me if that was the only reason I called :) Chatted with him for another minute, we still have no idea what to do for Dad for Father's Day. Anyone have any suggestions? My Dad is really difficult to shop for. He has everything. If he doesn't have something, he goes out and buys it. He dislikes gift certificates. Time is running out and I have to do something.

Headed over to the mall and picked up a few things there. I bought a couple of cute graphic Ts but when I got them home, one of them had a hole in it, and the other was too small to use for layering so now I'm going to have to take them back. Unfortunate.

Came home, went for a walk, had some supper, am doing laundry now as I blog. That's it for me.

Knives are an investment.

9 comments:

John said...

The only thing more important than a good knife is a great sharpener. Whether you find a professional, or you buy a stone or electric, don't skimp.

Me, I've got crappy knives and two great sharpeners (one stone, the other electric). My great electric makes even my crappy knives work pretty well.

(There, something else for you to shop for... talk about enabling!)

liz said...

Good lord, I don't need anything else to shop for, I am in enough trouble as it is!!!

I got a chef's knife, a carving knife & fork, a paring knife and a straight steel sharpener. They were a great price. I just can't believe I spent that much on knives in one trip. But knives are an investment, that is my mantra of the day.

Cyn said...

A good knife is the cornerstone of a great kitchen! Actually I love having good knives because I tend to end up cutting myself far less - and we all know I don't need anymore injuries or disasters! Hahaha!

As for Gwen. OMG I can't stand that thing!!! We have nothing but Gwen videos playing at work lately since she designed one of the HP cameras - it's the ugliest damned thing I've ever seen. In the last week I think I've listened to/watched the video of Hollaback Girl at least 100 times if not more plus other videos. AHHHHH She's got to go!!! However, I did get a great laugh out of the walmart comment. Hehehe!

Anonymous said...

I'm no Scott M or T, but i'll do Human League's "Don't You Want Me" if you need a partner :-)
..jus lemme know if you're stuck.

Chris W said...

I don't think anyone who does any cooking at all can say bad things about spending money on good knives. So sweet...

mare said...

hey, not to be facetious, but why don't you get your dad a really good set of steak knives or something? he's down with the 'q, right?

and i hear they're a good investment. :P

liz said...

Boo. urns.

Lisa said...

Maybe nobody else will say it, but I laughed out loud to your "Rollaback Girl" joke. It's lame, sure, but in a good way. ^_^ I know I shouldn't encourage bad punning, but there you have it.

We also have a Mings camero knife, and its pretty sweet...

Oh, and thanks for the Fathers Day reminder. I alwasy forget. *sigh*

liz said...

Awww, thanks! Every once in a while I have an epiphany of bad humor, but I am nothing compared to my brother :)